amateur baker: caramel brownies

Last weekend I made brownies. I used this recipe but made a few changes based on what I could find/had available. So my actual recipe is below.

  • 1 box (15.25 Ounce) German Chocolate Cake Mix - the original recipe calls for a larger box but my grocery store only had this size in German Chocolate
  • 1/3 cup Evaporated Milk
  • 1/2 cup Evaporated Milk (additional)
  • 1/2 cup Butter, Melted
  • 60 whole Caramels, Unwrapped
  • 1/3 cup Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
  • 1/4 cup Powdered Sugar
So, the recipe calls for using a 9x9 pan, but I only had 8x8, so I used that. I combined the cake mix with the 1/3 cup evaporated milk and 1/2 cup melted butter, using the same amounts of liquid even though I was using less cake mix than the original recipe. I did this because in the original recipe she mentioned that the batter was really thick, so I figured adjusting the liquid to dry mix ratio would help. It did. 

I put half the batter in my greased 8x8 and baked it at 350 for 8ish minutes. Meanwhile, I melted the 60 caramels with 1/2 evaporated milk in the microwave. 


I poured most of it over the bottom layer of brownie, saving the rest since I didn't want the caramel layer to be too thick. I sprinkled 1/3 cup of chocolate chips over the caramel, then put the second layer of batter over it all. I found it helpful to shape the rest of the batter into an approx. 8x8 square because it would have been difficult to spread over hot caramel. Oh, I also stirred a handful of chocolate chips into the second layer of batter because I didn't use the pecans called for in the original recipe. Because I didn't know if the person I was making the brownies for liked pecans. 


I baked the whole thing for 25ish minutes. Let cool to room temperature, put it in the refrigerator for a few hours to let everything firm up, then sprinkled the whole thing with powdered sugar.

They were delicious.  Seriously.

Posted in . Bookmark the permalink. RSS feed for this post.
Powered by Blogger.

Search

Swedish Greys - a WordPress theme from Nordic Themepark. Converted by LiteThemes.com.