Resolution #2: Fashion Fast

Does anyone else think Bridget Jones' Diary is the perfect New Years movie? No? Just me? Well, I like it a lot. But I could talk about that movie forever, and that is not the point of this post. The point is another New Years resolution.

I'm going on a fast. Not one of those juice/water/maple syrup fasts. A fashion fast. Kristy is doing it with me. We've decided not to buy clothing for the whole year. I have plenty of things to wear, but I buy new clothes anyway, and it's just unnecessary. This year I'd like to learn to live more simply, and the fashion fast is part of that.

I'm clearly not the first person to try it. The internet is full of people limiting their closet, or their kitchen, or what have you. My friend Mindy let me know about a friend of hers who did a fashion fast for a year, so I googled her blog and read over how it went for her. (It's here, if you want to check it out.) She had rules, and had actually prepared for it by stocking up on wardrobe staples, but since I feel like I have more than enough to get me through a year, I'm starting cold turkey (is that a thing? it is now).

Just a couple guidelines I've set for myself:
1. Underthings don't count.
2. Necessities that wear out can be replaced (pajamas, basic tanks, tights, etc)
3. If a special occasion comes up, I'll try to shop my closet first, but if I need something special, I'm not going to limit myself.
4. For fun occasions (like a costume party or something) I can only thrift, or buy things that cost under $10.

So, that's the plan. Wish me luck.

Posted in , . Bookmark the permalink. RSS feed for this post.
Powered by Blogger.

Search

Swedish Greys - a WordPress theme from Nordic Themepark. Converted by LiteThemes.com.