Jumping Ship



Source: favim.com via Audra on Pinterest


Sometimes I get an idea in my head and it ends up in an email or on my phone in a list of things to write/think about. Often it ends up on a sticky on my laptop.

For the past few months there has been a note that says 'jumping ship'.

Whenever I'm asked in an interview what my greatest weakness is, I tell the interviewer (who surely doesn't actually care) that I tend to bail out a sinking ship for too long. You see, in the world of the Titanic, I would have been the captain who chose to honorably go down with his ship, despite the fact that it was DEFINITELY sinking. (In real life, I probably would have drowned in steerage because I'm Irish and most of them were stuck there. Not the point.)

So usually, even when I can tell something is failing I will dutifully bail out the ship until I sink with it. One of the things I've learned to do lately is to jump. Maybe I needed to let that prompt sit on my laptop for months, because this morning as I was getting ready to blow dry my hair it sort of hit me that I've gotten better at this.

If something isn't working, just jump. It's not giving up, it's making a decision based on what's best for me, based on what is rational and realistic.

Sure, I may freeze in the metaphorical icy waters of life. I may still drown. But at least I'll know I did everything I could to try to save myself.

There will be another ship. And I know how to swim.



You can unofficially think of this as Takeback Part 2.

Posted in . Bookmark the permalink. RSS feed for this post.
Powered by Blogger.

Search

Swedish Greys - a WordPress theme from Nordic Themepark. Converted by LiteThemes.com.