The pleasure of resisting.




About a year ago, I gave up celebrity gossip. I used to visit people.com quite a bit, and one day I decided I didn't want to anymore. It didn't improve my life at all, and if anything, looking at seemingly perfect people all the time wasn't good for my self-esteem.

Even though it's been a year or so, sometimes I still am tempted to type that familiar web address when I'm bored. But I catch myself, and I don't do it. And I love that feeling. Of not doing something.

I also recently decided to stop looking at things that make me unhappy. Specifically, facebook profiles. If it doesn't add something to my life, I don't have time for it anymore. I can't tell you how good it feels to NOT do something. To know I've made a decision that's in my best interests, instead of being self-destructive.

Self-control is something I've always been really proud of, but it's also something I have to be careful of. After all, self-control is also what led me to an eating disorder when I was younger. (Don't worry, I'm eating.)

There is something so satisfying about resisting. About being strong enough not to do something you really want to do. About being more than your base desires, or habits, or temptations.

So...give it a shot. Try giving something up that isn't necessarily bad for you, but doesn't enrich your life either. And let me know how it goes.

Bookmark the permalink. RSS feed for this post.
Powered by Blogger.

Search

Swedish Greys - a WordPress theme from Nordic Themepark. Converted by LiteThemes.com.